For a long time, I’ve wanted to find a way for me to give back through this company I’ve built. I understand that I am privileged in many ways, and also that I have a platform which allows me to help people and make change. I have felt more empowered in the last couple of years to be loud about what I believe and this is just the beginning. A handful of months ago I happened upon an organization called “I Support The Girls.” After chatting with their Kansas City administrator Lindsay, I knew that this was exactly the perfect opportunity I had been looking for!!
Who is “I Support The Girls”?
I SUPPORT THE GIRLS‘ mission statement: “ISTG collects and distributes essential items, including bras, underwear, and menstrual hygiene products, allowing women and folx experiencing homelessness, impoverishment, or distress to stand tall with dignity. A woman shouldn’t have to choose between feeding herself and her personal health. Every woman should have the ability to maintain her dignity. Around the globe we’re helping girls and women experiencing homelessness, victims of domestic violence, victims of sex trafficking, refugees and evacuees affected by natural disasters.”
Here are some additional important details:
- The KC branch of ISTG has been up and running for almost 3 years.
- They partner with over 80 local schools/shelters/nonprofits that do direct services with people that would benefit from receiving these items.
- They’ve distributed over 150,000 products in our local community!!
How will Spencer Studios help ISTG?
For the next six months (at least) I will be hosting a collection drive!! I have a bin that is ready to be filled to the brim with essential items (gently used bras, new underwear, and menstrual hygiene products) to be donated directly to ISTG. Here are some ways I can envision collecting as much as possible:
- The information about the drive will be sent along to all of my couples and boudoir clients during their planning process.
- For boudoir clients, they all start by going through their underwear drawer to pick out outfits. This is a great time to get rid of gently used bras that they just don’t wear anymore and they can easily bring them to their session!
- If other vendor partners in the wedding industry have donations, I can pick them up at networking events, coffee dates, etc.
- The Studio Space KC (the rental studio owned by Spencer Studios) will be the location for the collection bin, so other photographers and their clients can also donate!
- And more!! I’m still dreaming up all the ways in which I can get as many donations as possible!
How can I help ISTG?
Through donation!! Here are some ideas:
- Use this as a great opportunity to go through your bra drawer and clean out what you don’t wear anymore. I know every woman has a bra they think they might wear…you won’t, and someone else would rather have that than have to wear a swimsuit top for an interview.
- Got an amazon return? Return it to Kohls and spent the $5 of Kohls cash on a pair of new undies.
- Got some extra medical spending? Buy some menstrual products!!
- Have a ton of ipsy (or similar) small make-up bags around?? They would love those too!!
- Have donations you need to get to me? Shoot me at email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get it picked up!